Leap Day is a holiday that is a little different.
This different holiday calls for a cocktail that is a little different too! Here are three recipes to try for Leap Day, or any day of the year! The first is a traditional cocktail that was born on Leap Day in 1928, hence the name. The other two recipes are fun riffs on the first. No matter how you drink this Leap Year, you should definitely try these more than once every 4 years!
The Leap Year Martini:
The original Leap Year cocktail, perfect for celebrating Leap Day!
- 2 ounces London Dry gin
- 3/4 ounce orange liqueur
- 1/2 ounces sweet vermouth (try with Punt e Mes)
- About 1/8 ounce lemon juice
- Add ingredients to a mixing glass
- Fill the glass with ice cubes and stir for about 30 seconds
- Add a twist of lemon to a Martini glass
- Strain contents into a chilled cocktail glass
Recipe from The Kitchn
The Leap Year X Old Fashioned
An Old Fashioned inspired by the Leap Year Martini for when you just can’t decide.
- 2 ounces gin
- ¼ ounces Grand Marnier
- ¼ ounces sweet vermouth
- ¼ ounces. fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- Orange wedge
- Squeeze orange juice into a cocktail shaker
- Add gin, Grand Marnier, sweet vermouth, and bitters to your shaker with ice
- Shake vigorously for 10 seconds
- Add one large piece of ice to your old-fashioned glass
- Pour your freshly shaken cocktail into your glass
- Garnish with an orange wedge and cherry
Recipe from Pair Magazine
The Scarlet Petticoat
A most unusual Leap Year cocktail, compliments of Hendrick’s Gin.
- 1 ½ parts Hendrick’s Gin
- ¾ parts fresh Blood Orange juice
- ½ part Lillet Rouge
- ¼ part Creme de Cassis
- 1 slice of Cucumber
- In mixing glass, muddle one slice of cucumber.
- Combine remaining ingredients.
- Add ice and shake vigorously.
- Double strain into cocktail glass.
- Garnish with blood orange peel and cucumber slice.
Recipe by Hendrick’s Gin
There are always many variations on cocktails, and this one is no exception. It can be endlessly customized so don’t be afraid to experiment and riff on this classic. Remember, you can always come back to the original for a perfect drink to entertain your friends. Come visit us at Bill’s Package Store for more ideas and suggestions on brands to try. We’ll help you make the perfect cocktails from your home bar for Leap Day or any day!Tags: best gin, Bill’s Package Store, Bill’s Package Store Hours, clarksville, clarksville tn, Clarksville Tn Liquor store hours, Fort Campbell, Fort Campbell Liquor Store, gin cocktail, homemade cocktail, leap year cocktail, Liquor Store, Liquor Store Hours, Liquor Store near me, martini, mixed drinks, old fashioned, Wine Store