That afternoon gin & tonic might be your go-to refreshing drink but it also has some added health benefits.
First off, what is gin?
Gin originated in Holland in the 1550s and was originally made to be a medicine, hence the reason it’s good for you.
Gin is made from juniper berries, little dark purple nuggets with superfood powers. They are jam-packed with infection-fighting qualities as they are warming, stimulating and disinfecting.
Here’s a list of why drinking gin, in moderation, could have some health benefits:
- Juniper berries are full of antioxidants and boost the regeneration of skin cells making your body smoother and healthier-looking.
- Gin is one of the least calorific spirits with only 97 calories per shot. The juniper berries come into action by increasing the number of enzymes that break down your food and help your digestion.
- Longer Life
- Juniper berries contain flavonoids which are great for preventing heart disease and improving your blood circulation as you get older.
- Fights Kidney and Liver Disease
- Juniper berries help stop water retention, allowing you to pass more water than any other alcohol. This means more harmful toxins and bacteria are flushed out of your system.
- Good Bones
- The alcohol coupled with the juniper berries can be an effective treatment for chronic pain and inflammations such as arthritis. Try gin-soaked raisins.
- You can store them in a jar and eat them daily to see the benefits.
- Cough Medicine
- The oils contained in juniper berries can alleviate coughs by expelling the mucus in the throat and aiding lung congestion.
- Mix it with ginger to help soothe a sore throat
So, as you can see, gin can be good for you! However, drinking any alcohol in excess can have adverse effects, so as always, Bill’s Package Store recommends that you please drink responsibly.
For some great gin cocktail recipes, click here.
- Seagram’s gin – https://www.seagramsgin.com/
- Captive Spirits Gin – https://captivespiritsdistilling.com/
- Smooth Ambler Spirits – https://smoothambler.com/
You can check out these brands along with a slew of other great wines and spirits when you stop in at Bill’s Package Store.
We offer superior quality, top-shelf brands of your favorite liquors and wine at the lowest prices in Clarksville, TN. Call (931) 647-5566 or visit us at 1651 Fort Campbell Blvd Clarksville, TN, 37042.