If you’re from around here, you’ve probably heard about Jack Daniels and his whiskey made right here in Tennessee. If you’re new to the area, here’s what you need to know.
- Jasper Newton Daniel, more commonly known as Jack, started his journey to whiskey making back in 1864.
- By 1866, the Jack Daniel Distillery is officially established.
- The very first registered distillery within the US.
- Jack’s history and friendship with an enslaved man named Nathan “Nearest”
- Green is a fascinating read. Read it here.
The original family recipe
- Jack Daniel chose a well-considered recipe of 80% corn, 12% barley, and 8% rye that is still used today.
- Distillation begins by mixing these grains with the iron-free water from the area, then adding a little bit of starter yeast from a previous batch.
- Using this bit of starter is why Jack Daniel’s is called sour mash.
- The mash ferments for six days before being single distilled in a large copper still.
- It is then vaporized and condensed only once.
- In 1947, Jackie Gleason introduced Frank Sinatra to Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey in a New York City bar.
It started a friendship that will endure the ages.
What makes Jack Daniels different?
- There’s an extra step in the distilling process that some say gives the whiskey a distinctive smoothness. It’s called charcoal mellowing.
- Once distilled to 140 proof, they send the clear, un-aged whiskey drop by drop through handcrafted charcoal.
- The process takes 3 – 5 days.
If you’re ever in Lynchburg, TN, take an unforgettable journey to the birthplace of Jack Daniels! The distillery tour offers a chance to experience an iconic piece of American history and witness the craft and tradition behind the making of Jack Daniels whiskey.
At Bill’s Package Store, we offer superior quality, top-shelf brands of your favorite liquors and wine at the lowest prices in Clarksville, TN. Call (931) 647-5566 or visit us at 1651 Fort Campbell Blvd Clarksville, TN.Tags: Bill’s Package Store, Bill’s Package Store Hours, clarksville, clarksville tn, Fort Campbell Liquor Store, Jack Daniels