The Mint Julep is the iconic cocktail for the Kentucky Derby, however, Bill’s Package Store recommends some other drinks to enjoy during those 2 minutes of the race.
Not everyone is a fan of the famous “Mint Julep,” so for those that prefer something else, here are a few cocktail recipes for inspiration.
Woodford Reserve* Old Fashioned:
- 2 oz. Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 jigger water
- 2 dashes of aromatic bitters
- Cherry and lemon peel for garnish
- Add sugar and water to an old fashioned glass
- Stir and dissolve the sugar
- Add 2 dashes of aromatic bitters
- Add 2 oz. Woodford Reserve Bourbon & stir
- Add ice and garnish with cherry and lemon peel.
*Woodford Reserve is a major sponsor of the Kentucky Derby
- 1 ½ ounces bourbon*
- 1-ounce grapefruit juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ ounce honey syrup
- Grapefruit twist for garnish
- Add the bourbon, grapefruit juice, and honey syrup into a shaker with ice and shake vigorously until well-chilled.
- Fine-strain into a cocktail glass
- Express the oil from a grapefruit twist and drop in to garnish
*Bill’s Package store recommends using Jim Beam Bourbon
- 2 oz. bourbon*
- ½ oz. lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Ginger beer
- A sprig of mint to garnish
- Add the bourbon and lime juice to a Moscow Mule mug or highball glass
- Fill with ice and top with ginger beer
- Garnish with a mint sprig
*Bill’s Package Store recommends Makers Mark Bourbon
Of course, any cocktail will be well received at your Kentucky Derby party. Just make sure you stop by Bill’s Package Store for those much-needed spirits.
We offer superior quality, top-shelf brands of your favorite liquors and wine at the lowest prices in Clarksville, TN. Call (931) 647-5566 or visit us at 1651 Fort Campbell Blvd Clarksville, TN, 37042.