Wine 101: If you’re a wine connoisseur, you can stop reading this, but if you’re an inquisitive wine drinker, you might find these facts interesting. Read on for the answers to a few of the most common wine questions.
Does A Sweet Red Wine Require Added Sugar?
- High quality sweet red wine is made WITHOUT additional sugar.
- The fermentation process is fueled by the natural sugar content of the grape.
- Without high sugar content, there cannot be high alcohol content.
- Some grapes have less sugar content than others, so some wines are “chaptalized” or “enriched” with added sugar to feed the yeast to maximize the alcohol content.
- They don’t simply dump extra sugar to make sweet wine sweeter.
Why Do You Pair Red Wine With Red Meat?
- Red wines are almost always heavier in body and more explosive in taste than their white wine counterparts.
- The biggest factor to consider when pairing wine with food is ensuring the wine doesn’t overpower the food and vice versa.
- A hearty red wine would drown out the flavors of a delicate dish like tilapia or steamed vegetables.
- Conversely, a filet mignon or beef stew would wipe out your taste buds to enjoy a crisp Pinot Grigio.
How Long Can I Store Wine?
- Most wines are meant to be consumed within a year or two.
- At least 90% of wines are meant to be consumed young.
- Red wines can be cellar-kept for longer periods than white wines.
What is the Best Way to Save Leftover Wine?
- Leftover wine can be saved but kept away from oxygen.
- Find a small container that will hold the wine left over to the point where the container is virtually overflowing.
- Cap the container with a cork or plug so that some of the wine spills out and no air bubbles are left in the container.
- Store the container in your refrigerator for up to a week.
If you have a question about wine or any of our spirits, please ask one of our knowledgeable staff.
At Bill’s Package Store, we offer superior quality, top-shelf brands of your favorite liquors and wine at the lowest prices in Clarksville, TN. Call (931) 647-5566 or visit us at 1651 Fort Campbell Blvd Clarksville, TN.Tags: Bill’s Package Store, clarksville, clarksville liquor store, clarksville tn, clarksville wine store, wine, wine FAQ